Africa New Life COVID-19 Rwanda Travel Update
Updated March 18, 2021:
Africa New Life is dedicated to the health and safety of you, our traveler, our staff and the people of Rwanda. We devotedly watch the national and global health news while keeping abreast of the latest COVID-19 infection data, travel news, government requirements, and vaccine information. With this in mind, we have important announcements and considerations for our future travelers.
- Team travel will open in August 2021 with the understanding that trips will look and feel very different while COVID-19 is still an active health risk in Rwanda.
- Travelers will be required to follow all laws and protocols designed to reduce the spread of COVID-19, including mask wearing and distancing.
- While travel will be allowed, we encourage potential travelers to delay visiting Rwanda until we can safely and fully engage with our brothers and sisters in Rwanda—when the pandemic’s impact on public health in Rwanda is minimized.
Do I need the COVID-19 vaccine to travel to Rwanda?
Unvaccinated travelers are allowed to enter Rwanda, however, Africa New Life strongly recommends all travelers are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to their trip to Rwanda, based on guidance from the Rwandan government, the World Health Organization and the CDC.
Rwandan Government Entry & Exit Information for Travelers: Stay updated on the Rwandan government’s latest requirements by visiting: rbc.gov.rw, and clicking “Info Note for Passengers”> English
Africa New Life Requirements for Travel: All travelers with Africa New Life will be asked to disclose their vaccination status. Travelers will sign a Release of Information and acknowledgement that their vaccination status may impact the itinerary and activities included in their trip. Unvaccinated travelers may be required to follow additional distancing, masking, testing, and quarantine procedures as required by the Rwandan government. A traveler’s vaccination status may be disclosed to Team Leaders and Africa New Life staff as necessary.
Unvaccinated travelers are discouraged due to a greater risk of contracting COVID-19, which could result in:
- Severe illness and possible hospitalization while in Rwanda
- Mandatory 10-day isolation, and any additional time until a negative test result is received
- Mandatory 14-day quarantine for all fellow unvaccinated travelers and Africa New Life staff who had direct contact with the infected traveler
- Unintentionally infecting Africa New Life students and program participants
- Discontinuation of traveler’s planned trip activities and visit with sponsored student
- Additional costs for extended lodging, meals, and airfare changes incurred as a delay of trip due to illness
- Unplanned out-of-pocket expenses for medical care received while traveling (can seek reimbursement from travel-medical-insurance)
If you have any questions, please email email@example.com.
Thank you for your continued support of the ministry.
YOU ARE INVITED TO RWANDA
Bring your team to Rwanda: whether you are a church mission group, a company team looking to give back internationally, a collection of friends and family, or a student group seeking to broaden your worldly lens—we welcome you! Do you sponsor a student through Africa New Life? We invite you to come and meet them. Our U.S. and Rwandan staff will work together with you to configure and host a trip centered around our ministry.
Africa New Life trips are designed with intentionality and adhere to the principals of When Helping Hurts. Before you travel, Africa New Life helps prime travelers through pre-trip learning and reflection. While in Rwanda, we encourage you to take a posture of learning. Our trips are not about fixing; we focus on engaging honestly and equitably with both ministry staff and those we serve. You will learn what our ministry does, and how your support and partnership helps enhance the life of so many! Africa New Life hopes for travelers to connect, further their discipleship, and deepen their spiritual life.
WHAT TO EXPECT ON YOUR TRIP:
Each trip schedule depends on team composition and the needs of the ministry in Rwanda. We want to use each team’s gifts, heart, and passion! The specific focus and activities of the trip will depend on the dynamics of the team.
Below are activities that most teams will participate in:
- Attend church in one of the Africa New Life communities
- Visit Rwandan communities
- Interact with a specific ministry or community
- Participate in Home Visits, an opportunity for sponsors to meet their sponsored student
- Visit a Genocide Memorial, commonly the Nyamata Memorial and the Kigali Genocide Memorial
- Work with the Dream Kids Program for vulnerable students
- Visit the Women’s Vocational Training Center
COST AND DURATION:
Standard Trip Cost: $1,750 + Airfare + Excursions
Our standard trip includes an 8-day, 8-night trip hosted at our Africa New Life Guest House in Kigali. Given a number of variables and your team’s goals for the trip, Africa New Life will configure a trip itinerary and budget that enables you to have a uniquely insightful, educational and relational experience with our ministry. For variations of trip length, location or activity additions, the cost will be adjusted accordingly in collaboration with the Team Leader. In addition to our ministry activities, teams can book additional excursions, like safaris, for an extra excursion fee.
FURTHER READING: TEAM TRIP GUIDE
In order to learn more about what to expect as you prepare to visit Rwanda, please review our online TEAM TRIP GUIDE. Here you will learn about Rwandan culture, travel and trip preparation.
Click here to view our Team Trip Frequently Asked Questions.
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
For information about future vision, church or company trips, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or fill out the form below.